The drive of becoming thinner is on the mind of the fat person leads him to do exercises, loss of appetite, laxatives or the use of diet pills to reduce the weight of the body in any case. This cycle becomes an obsession and, in this way is similar to an addiction.
Approximately 96% of the victims who are effected by anorexia are females not males, but in some cases males may have this disorder but mostly women and specially teenage girls are usually effected by this disorder. Many specialist and experts consider that people who want themselves slim and thin like actors, dancers, athletes and models, are at severe risk for eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa.
Causes of Anorexia nervosa
Following are the causes of this disorder:
1. Hypothalamus ( the part of brain )
2. Mental depressive symptoms
3. Genetic components
4. Over and over eating
Diagnosis of Anorexia nervosa
1. Person can get quality information from a professional consultant.
2. Professional doctor can also help to solve this disorder.
3. Information from a spouse, friend or family member can be useful.
4. Refusal of maintaining and balancing body weight which is above according to one's weight.
5. Fear of gaining weight.
6. Self perception which is fatty or grossly distorted.
Symptoms of Anorexia nervosa
Following are the signs which leads toward anorexia:
1. Depression which is also a main sign.
2. Individual can be easily irritable very soon.
3. Sleep can be disturb.
5. Obsessive compulsive disorder.
6. Low blood pressure.
7. Slow heart beats.
8. Gastrointestinal complications.
9. Bone density loss (osteopenia or thinning of the bones).
10. Anemia ( sleeping disorder).
11. High levels of cholesterol.
Treatment of Anorexia nervosa
1. Hospitalization to control the eating disorder.
2. Controlling malnutrition.
3. Medical interventions.
4. Psychological interventions.
5. Psychological therapies like family therapy, individual therapy and group therapy.
6. Maudsley model of family therapy is found very reliable in treating this disorder in this population.
7. Weight management.